Super cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole only requires four ingredients and can be ready in less than 20 minutes. Enjoy all the comforts of twice-baked potatoes, but in a quick and easy casserole!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. View our Disclaimer Policy.
Easy Twice Baked Potato Casserole
I love twice-baked potatoes. I love them so much but sometimes I just don’t have the time for all the baking and scooping and baking again. This recipe gives us the same gooey, cheesy results but for a quarter of the work!
This recipe makes about 4 1/2 cups of potatoes.
Ingredients Needed for Twice Baked Potato Casserole with Instant Potatoes
- Prepared instant mashed potatoes
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
About the Potatoes
The beauty of this recipe is that any kind of mashed potatoes can be used! I used Hungry Jack this time around, but I’ve also used Idahoan. Leftover mashed potatoes and “just add water” packages can also be used.
On the instant mashed potato box, use the “6 serving” directions for this recipe.
How to Make Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the prepared mashed potatoes, sour cream, half of the shredded cheese, and chives.
Spread the potato mixture into an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish. Add the remaining shredded cheese and garnish with additional chives.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Twice Baked Potato Casserole for Two
This casserole makes great leftovers, but sometimes you just don’t need that much. To cut this recipe in half, use:
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chives, plus some for garnish
Spread this mixture in a glass bread loaf pan (it’s like the perfect size!) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Make it Ahead of Time
Follow the recipe below up until step 4. After covering with the remaining cheese and chives, cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to bake the casserole, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Cover the dish with foil and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are heated through.
How to Store Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Refrigerator: Store this casserole in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezer: Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw: Thaw the frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheat: Heat the portion in the microwave until hot. To reheat in the oven, let the dish come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 additional minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
More Cheesy Side Dishes You’ll Love
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 4 c prepared instant mashed potatoes 6 servings according to box
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 1/2 c shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack) divided
- 2 tbsp chives plus some for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, sour cream, 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese, and chives.
- Spread into an 8×8 or 9×9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and garnish with additional chives. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If this was made ahead of time or the ingredients are cold, cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
* Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients used and cooking methods.
Thank you so much for visiting us! If you enjoyed this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!