Super cheesy Twice Baked Potato Casserole only requires four ingredients and can be ready in less than 20 minutes. Enjoy all the comforts of twice-baked potatoes, but in a quick and easy casserole!
Why you'll love this recipe
I love twice-baked potatoes. I love them so much but sometimes I just don't have the time for all the baking and scooping and baking again. This recipe gives us the same gooey, cheesy results but for a quarter of the work!
This recipe makes about 4 ½ cups of potatoes.
Here's what you'll need for instant twice baked potato casserole:
- Prepared instant mashed potatoes
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the prepared mashed potatoes, sour cream, half of the shredded cheese, and chives.
Spread the potato mixture into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish. Add the remaining shredded cheese and garnish with additional chives.
Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
This casserole makes great leftovers, but sometimes you just don't need that much. To cut this recipe in half, use:
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded cheese (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chives, plus some for garnish
Spread this mixture in a glass bread loaf pan (it's like the perfect size!) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Make it ahead of time
Follow the recipe below up until step 4. After covering with the remaining cheese and chives, cover and refrigerate. When you’re ready to bake the casserole, let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Cover the dish with foil and bake it for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover the dish and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are heated through.
Tips & tricks
Use any kind of instant mashed potatoes. The beauty of this recipe is that any kind of mashed potatoes can be used! I used Hungry Jack this time around, but I've also used Idahoan. On the instant mashed potato box, use the "6 serving" directions for this recipe.
Use leftover mashed potatoes. This recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Be sure to let them come to room temperature before beginning this recipe. If the leftover potatoes are too cold, it may affect bake time.
Add bacon. Kick this recipe up a notch by frying up some bacon! Stir in and garnish with crumbled bacon for some added yumminess. After all, you can't have baked potatoes without bacon!
- Baking Dish. Make this casserole in an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Mixing Bowl. Use a medium-sized bowl to combine the potatoes, sour cream, cheese, and chives.
Storing and reheating
Refrigerator: Store this casserole in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezer: Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw: Thaw the frozen casserole in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheat: Heat the portion in the microwave until hot. To reheat in the oven, let the dish come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Cover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 additional minutes, until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through.
More cheesy side dishes
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 4 c prepared instant mashed potatoes 6 servings according to box
- ½ c sour cream
- 1 ½ c shredded cheese (I use Colby Jack) divided
- 2 tablespoon chives plus some for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, sour cream, ¾ cup of the shredded cheese, and chives.
- Spread into an 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish.
- Sprinkle on the remaining cheese and garnish with additional chives. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- If this was made ahead of time or the ingredients are cold, cover the dish with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Lovin' these recipes? Join me on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Twice Baked Potato Casserole? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!