Get ready to take Taco Tuesday to the next level with this delicious Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe. With just a few simple spices, you can create a mouthwatering seasoning blend that's bursting with flavor!
Why you'll love this recipe
Spice up your next taco night with this deliciously mild homemade taco seasoning. Made with a blend of savory spices like chili powder, cumin, and paprika, this seasoning adds just the right amount of flavor and kick to your favorite Mexican dishes.
Crafting your own taco seasoning blend allows you to adjust the heat and flavor to your preferences. By making it from scratch, you have complete control over the ingredients, giving you the peace of mind that comes with knowing exactly what you're putting into your dish.
Say goodbye to store-bought seasoning packets, and hello to a homemade blend that's sure to become a pantry staple!
Here are the spices you'll need to make the best homemade taco seasoning blend:
- Chili powder. Adds a spicy kick and smokiness.
- Garlic and onion powder. These bring savory and umami flavors that complement the other spices.
- Red pepper flakes. Another source of heat in this seasoning. Add more or less pepper flakes to your liking!
- Dried oregano. Adds a warm and slightly bitter taste. Switch it out with Marjoram or Mexican oregano.
- Paprika. Provides a sweet and smoky flavor. It also adds the reddish-orange color to taco meat.
- Ground cumin. Adds a warm and earthy taste.
- Salt and pepper. Helps enhance the overall flavor.
In a small bowl, combine all the spices and mix well until evenly combined.
Store the seasoning in an airtight container or a small jar with a lid.
Besides tacos, this taco seasoning can be used for so many different recipes. Check these out:
- Roasted vegetables. Sprinkle some seasoning on vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, or sweet potatoes before roasting for a delicious side dish.
- Dips. Mix some taco seasoning into some beans or cream cheese for a quick and easy taco dip.
- Grilled meats. Use this seasoning as a rub for chicken, steak, or pork.
- Soups and stews. This spice blend is great in taco soup!
Homemade taco seasoning can offer several health benefits compared to store-bought packets. You have the ability to control and adjust all of the ingredients. This means you can make this seasoning low sodium and eliminate artificial flavors and preservatives.
Tips & tricks
Use fresh spices. The quality and freshness of the dried herbs you use can impact the flavor of your taco seasoning. Ensure your spices are fresh and haven't been in the pantry for too long.
Adjust the heat level. If you want your seasoning to be spicier or milder, adjust the amount of chili powder and red pepper flakes. For some extra heat, you can add a pinch of cayenne pepper or chipotle powder.
Make it your own. Don't be afraid to try different spices to make a seasoning blend that suits your unique taste preferences. You might want to add a pinch of cinnamon for a slightly sweet and cozy taste or substitute smoked paprika for regular paprika to achieve a richer, smokier flavor.
- Measuring spoons. A set of measuring spoons is essential for accurately measuring out the spices.
- Empty Spice Jars. Store your homemade seasoning in an airtight container to preserve its flavor and freshness.
Store your taco seasoning in an airtight container or in a small jar with a lid- I love using mason jars! Keep the container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat.
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to make a larger batch of taco seasoning that can be stored for later use. To keep track of the seasoning's freshness, label and date the container. For the best taste, use it within 6 months.
More kitchen basics
Hungry for more? Sign up for our newsletter and join us on Facebook and Pinterest for all of our latest updates!
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, combine all of the spices and mix well until evenly combined.
- Store in an airtight container.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
Like our recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Homemade Taco Seasoning? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Did you make this recipe? Let us know!