Make your own Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping at home with just a few simple ingredients. Use it for cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, and more!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. View our Disclaimer Policy.
Strawberry Shortbread Crumble
Who remembers the Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream bars? My favorite part was that super yummy strawberry crumble- I just could never get enough of it! Turns out it’s so easy to make that I can have it whenever I want.
This recipe makes enough crumbles for an entire 9×13 cake or 24 cupcakes, with extra crumbles to spare!
Ingredients Needed for Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping
- Shortbread cookies
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Strawberry Jell-O mix
Lorna Doone Shortbread Cookies
For this recipe, I use Lorna Doone shortbread cookies (not sponsored). The crisp, buttery goodness of these cookies just makes this crumble so good.
Do you have to use Lorna Doone cookies? Absolutely not! Golden Oreos or any vanilla/shortbread cookie will do!
How to Make Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
In BOWL 1, combine 1/4 cup of flour, 1/2 stick of softened butter, and 1 vanilla pudding package.
In BOWL 2, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 stick of softened butter, and 1 strawberry Jell-O package.
Mix them both well. The strawberry mixture will be softer than the vanilla, but they should both be about the consistency of Playdoh.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dump each bowl onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten each mixture to about 1/4 of an inch.
This mixture only needs to be baked for 6 to 7 minutes. ***Do not let the edges brown.
Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Once the mixture has cooled, break it into smaller pieces.
The pieces should snap apart. If they bend too easily, put the mixture back into the refrigerator.
Place 1/3 of the broken pieces into a food processor. Pulse in quick, short pulses until you have fine crumbles. Repeat with the remaining 2/3.
Transfer the strawberry shortbread crumbles to an airtight container and stir in the crushed shortbread cookies.
Strawberry Crunch Jell-O Cupcakes
Use this strawberry shortbread crumble to create the best Strawberry Crunch Jello Cupcakes!
How to Store Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Crumble
Refrigerator: Store the crumble in an airtight container for up to five days.
Love This Recipe? Try These Other Delicious Desserts:
Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping
- 12 Lorna Doone shortbread cookies crushed
- 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 oz box strawberry Jell-O mix
- 1 stick butter divided and softened
- 1/2 c flour divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In BOWL 1, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 stick of softened butter, and 1 vanilla pudding package. Mix well and set aside.
- In BOWL 2, combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 stick of softened butter, and 1 Jell-O package. Mix well.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dump out each bowl. Flatten each mixture to about 1/4 of an inch.
- Bake for 6 to 7 minutes. ***This mixture will spread slightly; do not let the edges brown.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Once the mixture has cooled, break it into smaller pieces. The pieces should snap apart. If it still bends pretty easily, put it back into the refrigerator.
- Place the broken pieces (1/3 at a time) into a food processor. Pulse in quick, short pulses, until you have fine crumbles. Repeat with the remaining 2/3 broken pieces.
- Transfer to an airtight container and add the crushed shortbread cookies.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients used and cooking methods.
Thank you so much for visiting us! If you enjoyed this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!