Make your own Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping at home with just a few simple ingredients. Use it for cakes, cupcakes, ice cream, and more!
Why you'll love this recipe
Who remembers the Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream bars? My favorite part was that super yummy strawberry crumble- I just could never get enough of it! Turns out it's so easy to make that I can have it whenever I want.
This recipe makes enough crumbles for an entire 9x13 cake or 24 cupcakes, with extra crumbles to spare!
Here's what you'll need to make strawberry crunch shortbread topping:
- Shortbread cookies
- Instant vanilla pudding mix
- Strawberry Jell-O mix
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.
In BOWL 1, combine ¼ cup of flour, ½ stick of softened butter, and 1 vanilla pudding package.
In BOWL 2, combine ¼ cup flour, ½ stick of softened butter, and 1 strawberry Jell-O package.
Mix them both well. The strawberry mixture will be softer than the vanilla, but they should both be about the consistency of Playdoh.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Dump each bowl onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten each mixture to about ¼ of an inch.
This mixture only needs to be baked for 6 to 7 minutes. ***Do not let the edges brown.
Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
Once the mixture has cooled, break it into smaller pieces.
The pieces should snap apart. If they bend too easily, put the mixture back into the refrigerator.
Place ⅓ of the broken pieces into a food processor. Pulse in quick, short pulses until you have fine crumbles. Repeat with the remaining ⅔.
Transfer the strawberry shortbread crumbles to an airtight container and stir in the crushed shortbread cookies.
Tips & tricks
Use Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. The crisp, buttery goodness of these cookies just makes this crumble so good. Do you have to use Lorna Doone cookies? Absolutely not! Golden Oreos or any vanilla/shortbread cookie will do!
Don't over bake. Don't bake the jello and pudding mixture for too long. All it takes is 6 to 7 minutes. If you see the edges browning, pull it immediately!
Chill the mixture. It's important that this step is not skipped! After the jello and pudding mixture is baked, it needs to chill for at least one hour.
Don't overfill the food processor. If the food processor gets overfilled, it could heat the mixture up and create a paste instead of crumbles.
- Food Processor. Quickly and easily make strawberry crunch crumbles in a 10-cup food processor.
Use this strawberry shortbread crumble to create the best Strawberry Crunch Jello Cupcakes! So far, this is one of my favorite ways to use this shortbread topping!
Refrigerator: Store the crumble in an airtight container for up to five days.
More delicious desserts
Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping
- 12 Lorna Doone shortbread cookies crushed
- 3.4 oz box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 oz box strawberry Jell-O mix
- 1 stick butter divided and softened
- ½ c flour divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In BOWL 1, combine ¼ cup flour, ½ stick of softened butter, and 1 vanilla pudding package. Mix well and set aside.
- In BOWL 2, combine ¼ cup flour, ½ stick of softened butter, and 1 Jell-O package. Mix well.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, dump out each bowl. Flatten each mixture to about ¼ of an inch.
- Bake for 6 to 7 minutes. ***This mixture will spread slightly; do not let the edges brown.
- Chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Once the mixture has cooled, break it into smaller pieces. The pieces should snap apart. If it still bends pretty easily, put it back into the refrigerator.
- Place the broken pieces (⅓ at a time) into a food processor. Pulse in quick, short pulses, until you have fine crumbles. Repeat with the remaining ⅔ broken pieces.
- Transfer to an airtight container and add the crushed shortbread cookies.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Lovin' these recipes? Join me on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Strawberry Crunch Shortbread Topping? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!