Salsa Fresca Chicken is made with zesty chicken chunks, fresh pico de gallo, melted Monterey cheese, and fluffy rice. This protein-packed dish is perfect for healthy meal prep lunches!
Why you'll love this recipe
Lately, I can't get enough of this super simple yet exceptionally delicious Salsa Fresca Chicken. Not only is it incredibly satisfying, but it's also bursting with vibrant colors and bold flavors that make it perfect for meal prepping!
This dish strikes the ideal balance between convenience and taste. Tender and flavorful chicken, topped with mild fresh salsa, melted cheese, and a side of rice makes this the best protein-packed lunch.
So if you're in search of a healthy 4-day meal prep meal that's a breeze to prepare, give this Salsa Fresca Chicken Meal Prep a try- you won't be disappointed!
To make this Salsa Fresca Chicken Meal Prep recipe, you will need:
- Chicken. Trim your chicken and slice it into bite-size chunks. I like to use chicken thighs, but you can also use chicken breasts.
- Seasoning. Use these seasonings (cumin, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, paprika, salt, and pepper) to create a balanced and well-seasoned dish.
- Pico de gallo. Make vibrant salsa fresca with fresh tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, a squeeze of lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Save a step and buy already prepared pico de gallo in the produce section of your grocery store.
- Monterrey Jack. This is my favorite mild and gooey melting cheese! Feel free to substitute it with your favorite melting cheese such as shredded mozzarella or Oaxaca.
- Rice. Make this recipe low-carb and use cauliflower rice, broccoli rice, or even zoodles.
Not all glass containers are created equally! Make sure that your meal prep containers are oven-safe up to at least 450 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine the chunked chicken with the seasonings: olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and paprika. Divide the chicken evenly among the glass meal prep containers.
Bake the chicken for 15 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine the ingredients for Salsa Fresca: chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
Once your timer goes off, stir the chicken. Divide the shredded cheese and salsa fresca between the containers. Bake again for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melty and the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165℉.
Using a wooden spoon or spatula, slide the chicken over and divide the cooked rice between the bowls.
Let the bowls cool, put the lids on, and store them in the refrigerator until you're ready to enjoy!
Make it low-carb
If you're looking to cut down on carbs, you could replace the rice with cauliflower rice, broccoli rice, spaghetti squash, zoodles, or even quinoa or wild rice (in smaller amounts).
Tips & tricks
Save a step. Make this recipe even easier by purchasing already prepared pico de gallo. This should be found in the produce section of your grocery store.
Marinate the chicken. Let the chunked chicken marinate in the spices (Step 2) for 15 to 20 minutes before cooking. This can help enhance the flavor and tenderness.
Adjust the spice level. If you're not a fan of heat, you can cut down or leave out the jalapeno and the red pepper flakes.
- Half sheet. Use this large baking sheet to easily fit all of your meal prep containers.
- Meal prep containers. I love these containers. They're airtight, leakproof, and super easy to clean. I have so many sets because they're perfect for meal prepping breakfast, lunch, and dinner for my husband and me all week long!
Storage & reheating
This meal prep recipe is super easy to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, making it a great option for busy weekdays.
Reheat your lunch in the microwave until it's warmed through (I do 1 ½ to 2 minutes).
Salsa Fresca Chicken Meal Prep
- 2 lb chicken thighs trimmed & chunked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 Roma tomatoes diced
- ½ white onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- ½ bunch cilantro chopped
- ½ lime juiced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz Monterrey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 c rice cooked
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Place your meal prep containers* on a large baking sheet (I like to use a half sheet).
- In a small bowl, combine the chunked chicken with the seasonings (olive oil, cumin, ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and paprika).
- Divide the chicken evenly between the meal prep containers*. Bake the chicken for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the prepared tomato, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and salt, in a medium bowl.
- Stir the chicken. Divide the shredded cheese and salsa between the containers. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the internal temperature of the chicken is at least 165℉.
- Move the chicken over, using a spatula or wooden spoon, and divide the cooked rice between the bowls.
- Let the bowls cool, put the lids on, and store them in the refrigerator for the week!
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Lovin' these recipes? Join me on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Salsa Fresca Chicken Meal Prep? Be sure to leave a comment below and share your experience!