This simple Pea Salad recipe is loaded with peas, colby jack cheese, and is tossed in a creamy ranch dressing sauce. This quick and easy summertime side dish is perfect for your next picnic, BBQ, or potluck!
Why you'll love this recipe
If you're looking for the perfect side dish for your next BBQ or summer potluck, you've come to the right place! This recipe requires only four basic ingredients and a few seasonings and -BAM- you have the perfect crowd-pleasing summer side dish.
I mean, who doesn't love ranch dressing, right?
Potlucks and barbeques are a blast- until someone gets sick. That's why it's important to keep cold salads stored correctly.
This pea salad, or any cold salad, should not be left out for longer than two hours. If the temperature is above 90° F, salads should not be left out for more than one hour.
The same rules apply to hot foods as well. Hot food should not sit out for longer than two hours or one hour if the temperature is above 90° F.
Read more about proper food handling from the FDA here and stay safe this summer!
Here's what you'll need for classic pea salad:
- Frozen peas
- Dry ranch mix
- Dried minced onion
- Colby Jack cheese
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ranch mix, minced onion, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Fold in the thawed peas and cubed cheese. Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving.
Add thinly sliced red onions and crumbled bacon for a fully loaded Pea Salad.
Instead of using colby jack cheese, try substituting cheddar, pepper jack, or your favorite cheese!
Tips & tricks
Use frozen peas. I recommend using frozen peas but fresh peas can also be used. Canned peas should not be used for this recipe.
Cook the peas. If you want softer peas, bring a large stock pot of water to a boil. Cook the peas for 7 to 8 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Drain and rinse the peas with cold water.
Chill for at least an hour. Be sure to chill this salad for at least one hour so the flavors have time to blend together.
- Mixing Bowl. This set is perfect for all of your mixing needs!
- Silicone Spatula. Use a spatula to carefully fold the peas into the ranch mixture.
- Colander. If you cook your peas, you can quickly and easily strain them with a 5-quart colander.
Refrigerator: This summer salad is enjoyed best on the day that it's made but it can be stored in an airtight container for up to three days.
Freezer: I do not recommend freezing this salad.
More summer sides
- 32 oz frozen sweet peas
- 1 c mayo
- 4 teaspoon dry ranch mix*
- ½ teaspoon dried minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz colby jack cheese cubed
- (OPTIONAL) Pour frozen peas into a medium-sized saucepan. Cover with water, bring to a boil, and cook until desired tenderness, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- (OPTIONAL) Drain the peas, rinse with cold water, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mayo, ranch, minced onion, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Fold in the thawed peas and cubed cheese.
- Chill the salad for at least one hour before serving.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Double or even triple this recipe for graduation parties, baby showers, BBQs, potlucks, family gatherings, Super Bowl parties, camping get togethers, and Labor Day or Memorial Day weekend parties.
Lovin' these recipes? Join me on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Easy Pea Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!