This classic Lasagna is guaranteed to be your next all-time favorite casserole. Homemade meat sauce is layered with noodles, cheese, and more cheese for the greatest comfort food around!
Why you'll love this recipe
When I was growing up, my mom would make this lasagna all the time with a loaf of buttery garlic french bread. YUM. It was my favorite dish back then and is still one of my absolute favorites now! If my husband would let me, I would make this every single week.
This lasagna is not dry and it's not runny. This recipe uses the simplest ingredients to create the perfect balance of sauce, cheese, and noodles. There is nothing in this world that beats saucy and cheesy. Nothing!
This lazy lasagna recipe only requires the simplest of ingredients. You can make it even easier by using jarred sauce. Here's what you will need:
- Homemade pasta sauce, can substitute store-bought sauce
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- Cottage cheese
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Add the lasagna noodles and boil for 3 minutes. Drain the noodles and set them aside.
Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
1. Lay half of the noodles on top of the sauce. Make sure they do not overlap. Some of the noodles may need to be cut or broken so they fit right.
2. Spread ½ of the cottage cheese on top of the noodles.
3. Spread ½ of the sauce on top of the cottage cheese (about 2 cups).
4. Sprinkle ½ of the shredded mozzarella on top of the meat sauce.
Layer on the remaining ingredients: noodles, cottage cheese, meat sauce, and mozzarella.
Sprinkle on parmesan cheese to taste. Cover with foil and bake the lasagna for 30 minutes.
Pro Tip: Spray the aluminum foil with a non-stick spray or use toothpicks to keep the cheese from sticking to the foil.
Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is slightly browned.
Make it ahead of time
Every time I make this recipe, I always make it ahead of time. Assemble the beef lasagna, cover it with foil, and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake it. Let it come to room temperature (I let it sit out for a good 40 minutes or so) and bake as directed below. Make sure the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.
Ricotta cheese can be substituted for cottage cheese.
If you would prefer to use a jarred pasta sauce, use two 24-ounce jars plus 1 pound of ground hamburger meat. Cook the beef, combine it with the pasta sauce, and follow the recipe as directed.
Now that you have the best lasagna recipe, you'll need the best lasagna side! Here are my husband and I's favorite side dishes:
- Easy Buttery Garlic Bread
- Steamed Vegetables with Garlic Butter
- Garlic Butter Green Beans
- A green salad
Tips & tricks
Boil the noodles. Even though the box says “oven-ready” the noodles still need to be cooked! I don’t want to risk having undercooked noodles, so I boil them for 3 minutes. The noodles turn out perfect every time! You won't want to skip this step!
Use jarred pasta sauce. If you would prefer to use a jarred spaghetti sauce, use two 24-ounce jars plus 1 pound of ground hamburger meat. Cook the beef, combine it with the pasta sauce, and follow the recipe as directed.
Use freshly shredded cheese. It will have a fresher and creamier taste and contains fewer additives.
- Lasagna Baking Dish. This 9x13 dish will fit your beef lasagna perfectly!
- Rotary Cheese Grater. Quickly and easily shred fresh cheese with a rotary cheese grater. No more sliced knuckles!
Storing and reheating
Refrigerator: After the baked lasagna has cooled, tightly cover with foil or transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Freeze the baked or unbaked lasagna in an airtight container for up to three months. Freezing baked lasagna may dry it out.
Thaw: Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Let the lasagna come to room temperature and bake as directed below.
Reheat: Reheat the portion in the microwave. Using the oven may dry it out.
More easy casseroles
- Easy Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole
- Tater Tot Casserole
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 1 Spaghetti Sauce Recipe or store bought (see recipe notes)
- 8 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 16 oz mozzarella
- parmesan to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil the lasagna noodles for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Lay half of the noodles on top of the sauce, making sure they do not overlap.
- Spread ½ of the cottage cheese on top of the noodles.
- Spread ½ of the sauce on top of the cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle on ½ of the shredded mozzarella on top of the meat sauce.
- Layer on the remaining ingredients: noodles, cottage cheese, meat sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese (to taste).
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is slightly browned.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
Lovin' these recipes? Join me on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy Mom's Lasagna? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!