This classic Lasagna is guaranteed to be your next all-time favorite casserole. Homemade meat sauce is layered with noodles, cheese, and more cheese for the greatest comfort food around!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. View our Disclaimer Policy.
Quick and Easy Lasagna
When I was growing up, my mom would make this lasagna all the time with a loaf of buttery garlic french bread. YUM. It was my favorite dish back then and is still one of my absolute favorites now! If my husband would let me, I would make this every single week.
This lasagna is not dry or runny. This recipe uses the simplest ingredients to create the perfect balance of sauce, cheese, and noodles. There is nothing in this world that beats saucy and cheesy. Nothing!
Ingredients Needed for the BEST Lasagna
This recipe only requires the simplest of ingredients. You can make it even easier by using jarred sauce. Here’s what you will need:
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Oven ready lasagna noodles
- Cottage cheese
Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
The sauce I use for this recipe is downright delicious (get the recipe here)! It has large chunks of ground beef, onions, garlic, and has no added sugar. It’s the only red sauce my husband will eat! If you would prefer to use a jarred pasta sauce, please see Variations below.
Oven Ready Lasagna Noodles
Even though the box says “oven-ready” they still need to be cooked! I’ve read so many reviews saying that the noodles didn’t cook all the way and they were still crunchy (yuck!). I don’t want to risk having undercooked noodles, so I boil them for 3 minutes.
The noodles turn out perfect every time! You won’t want to skip this step!
How to Layer Lasagna
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a rolling boil. Add the lasagna noodles and boil for 3 minutes. Drain the noodles and set them aside.
Spread 1 ½ cups of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
1. Lay half of the noodles on top of the sauce. Make sure they do not overlap. Some of the noodles may need to be cut or broken so they fit right.
2. Spread ½ of the cottage cheese on top of the noodles.
3. Spread ½ of the sauce on top of the cottage cheese (about 2 cups).
4. Sprinkle ½ of the shredded mozzarella on top of the meat sauce.
Layer on the remaining ingredients: noodles, cottage cheese, meat sauce, and mozzarella.
Sprinkle on parmesan cheese to taste. Cover with foil and bake the lasagna for 30 minutes.
Pro Tip: Spray the aluminum foil with a non-stick spray or use toothpicks to keep the cheese from burning onto the foil.
Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is slightly browned.
Ricotta cheese can be substituted for cottage cheese but keep in mind that ricotta does have a higher calorie count.
If you would prefer to use a jarred pasta sauce, use two 24-ounce jars plus 1 pound of ground hamburger meat. Cook the beef, combine it with the pasta sauce, and follow the recipe as directed.
Make Lasagna Ahead of Time
Every time I make this recipe, I always make it ahead of time. Assemble the lasagna, cover it with foil, and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake it. Let it come to room temperature (I let it sit out for a good 40 minutes or so) and bake as directed below. Make sure the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.
The Best Sides Dishes for Lasagna
Now that you have the best lasagna recipe, you’ll need the best lasagna side! Here are my husband and I’s favorite side dishes:
- Easy Buttery Garlic Bread
- Steamed Vegetables with Garlic Butter
- Garlic Butter Green Beans
- A green salad
How to Store and Reheat Lasagna
Refrigerator: After the baked lasagna has cooled, tightly cover with foil or transfer to an airtight container and store for up to 5 days.
Freezer: Freeze the baked or unbaked lasagna in an airtight container for up to three months. Freezing baked lasagna may dry it out.
Thaw: Defrost in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Let the lasagna come to room temperature and bake as directed below.
Reheat: Reheat the portion in the microwave. Using the oven may dry it out.
- 1 Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 8 oven ready lasagna noodles
- 16 oz cottage cheese
- 16 oz mozzarella
- parmesan to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Boil the lasagna noodles for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Lay half of the noodles on top of the sauce, making sure they do not overlap.
- Spread 1/2 of the cottage cheese on top of the noodles.
- Spread 1/2 of the sauce on top of the cottage cheese.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 of the shredded mozzarella on top of the meat sauce.
- Layer on the remaining ingredients: noodles, cottage cheese, meat sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese (to taste).
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until cheese is slightly browned.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients used and cooking methods.
Thank you so much for visiting us! If you enjoyed this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!