This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I may earn a small commission at no cost to you. View our Disclaimer Policy.
Savory hot beef and gravy piled high on fluffy homemade mashed potatoes and thick-sliced bread. Serve Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches with your favorite vegetable for the best comfort food any night of the week!
Hot Beef Sandwiches with Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
When I think of comfort food, this one is the highest on my list of favorites! Thick bread loaded with fluffy homemade mashed potatoes and savory hot beef and gravy– YUM. Does it even get any better than this??
Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches are one of the easiest recipes and only require a handful of ingredients. You can make this recipe even easier by using instant mashed potatoes.
Ingredients Needed for Hot Beef & Gravy
- Beef roast
- Onion soup mix
- Brown gravy packets
About the Roast
I think just about any roast will do for this recipe. I have used both a rump roast and a chuck roast (pictured above) and they both turned out amazing.
Ingredients Needed for Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Thick bread
How to Make Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches
Place the roast in the bottom of a 5-to-8-quart slow cooker. Combine the water, onion soup mix, and gravy packets and pour it over the roast.
Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
How to Make Easy Mashed Potatoes
Scrub, peel, and quarter the potatoes. Place the cut potatoes in a large pot and cover them with cold water.
Bring the pot to a boil and boil until fork-tender, about 16 to 18 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Add the butter, milk, salt, and pepper.
Mash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth.
Shred the beef. Lay down a piece of bread and top with a generous scoop of mashed potatoes and hot beef.
Which Bread is Best for Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches?
Any thick-sliced bread, such as Texas Toast, will work great for this recipe. I’ve also used thick-sliced Brioche and stacked two pieces of regular-sized sandwich bread and they both turned out great!
Refrigerator: Store the hot beef and mashed potatoes separately in airtight containers for up to five days.
Freezer: Freeze the hot beef and mashed potatoes in separate containers for up to three months.
Thaw: Place containers in the refrigerator overnight.
Reheat: Reheat in the microwave in a microwave-safe container.
Open-Faced Hot Beef Sandwiches
- slow cooker
Hot Beef & Gravy
- 3 lbs beef roast chuck or rump
- 1 pkg (1 oz) onion soup mix
- 4 pkg (0.87 oz) brown gravy
- 4 c water
- 5 lbs Russet potatoes scrubbed and peeled
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 c milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 pieces thick bread (Texas toast)
- Place the roast in the bottom of a 5-to-8-quart slow cooker.
- Mix together onion soup mix, gravy, and water. Pour over beef.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Scrub, peel, and quarter the potatoes. Place cut potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until soft, about 16 to 18 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add the butter, milk, salt, and pepper, and mash the potatoes with a potato masher, until smooth.
- Shred the beef. Lay down a piece of bread and top with a generous scoop of mashed potatoes and hot beef.
*Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary based on ingredients used and cooking methods.
Thank you so much for visiting us! If you enjoyed this recipe, please let us know in the comments below!