Simple and delicious Cherry Pie Bars are layered with a buttery shortbread crust, cherry pie filling, and drizzled with a sweet vanilla almond glaze. This crowd-pleasing dessert is perfect for any occasion!
Why you'll love this recipe
These bars are the best. Like, the best of the best. They're so good that my husband and I polished off the whole tray in less than three days. They’re just that good.
Because this easy recipe uses canned cherry pie filling, these bars can be made any time of the year! These vibrant red bars are perfect for any holiday and will make a beautiful addition to any dessert table. Make these soft and chewy bars for Valentine's Day, the Fourth of July, Christmas parties, potlucks, literally anytime!
Besides being super easy to make, these bars are completely delicious. Buttery shortbread on the bottom, sweet and tart cherry pie filling in the middle, topped with more buttery shortbread, and finished with a delightfully sweet glaze. Yum!
These are my go-to homemade bars because I usually already have everything I need in the pantry! Here is what you'll need:
- Cherry pie filling
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
Ingredients for glaze
You will absolutely love this vanilla-almond glaze. This flavorful glaze compliments the cherry pie bars so well. Here's what you will need:
- Vanilla extract
- Almond extract
- Powdered sugar
Begin this recipe by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. Cream together the softened butter and sugar
2. Add room temperature eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
3. Add salt and flour. Stir until combined- this batter will be thick.
Spread 3 cups of batter into a greased 15x10x1 pan. Spread on both cans of cherry pie filling.
Drop the remaining batter on top of the cherry pie filling.
The easiest way to make dollops of batter is by using two spoons- one to scoop and one to scrape. I prefer to do smaller dollops, but you can make them as big or as small as you like.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Combine the ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the bars.
Jelly roll pan
This recipe uses a jelly roll pan, which is a 15x10x1-inch pan. If you don't have one, I highly suggest getting one! Jelly roll pans can be used for so many things. It's good for Jelly Rolls (of course!), Pumpkin Rolls, roasting vegetables, making Chex Mix, baking cookies, and more!
I didn't have one for the longest time, but I caved, and now it's one of my most-used pans!
Use 9x13 pan
If you don't have a jelly roll pan, a 9x13 cake pan or casserole dish will do the trick. The bake time should be about the same (30 to 35 minutes).
Tips & tricks
Use room temperature ingredients. Set the eggs out, along with the butter, and allow them to come to room temperature. Using cold eggs could result in lumpy batter and longer bake times. Room temperature eggs will blend better and will let the batter rise easier.
Carefully measure the flour. Fluff up the flour in the bag or container. Spoon the flour into the measuring cup and scrape a knife across the top to level it out. Do not scoop directly from the bag or container. Too much flour equals less flavorful bars.
Make a thicker glaze. The glaze in this recipe spreads very easily over the bars. If you would prefer a thicker glaze, start with 1 tablespoon of milk and adjust it to your liking.
- Jelly Roll Pan. The classic Cherry Pie Bar pan. It has so many uses, I don't know what I would do without it!
- Hand Mixer. The easiest way to cream together butter and sugar. A stand mixer can also be used.
- Large Mixing Bowl. This set is perfect for all sorts of dessert bars.
Refrigerator: Once the bars have cooled, cover the pan with plastic wrap for up to three days or store in an airtight container for up to five days.
More fruity desserts
Hungry for more? Sign up for our newsletter and join us on Facebook and Pinterest for all of our latest updates!
Be sure to check out our brand-new Gluten-Free Facebook community!
Cherry Pie Bars
- 1 jelly roll pan 15x10x1
For the bars:
- 1 c butter (2 sticks) softened
- 2 c sugar
- 4 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 c all-purpose flour spoon and leveled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 21-ounce cans cherry pie filling
For the glaze:
- 1 c powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar. Add room temperature eggs, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat well.
- Add salt and flour. Stir until combined - this batter will be thick!
- Spread 3 cups of batter into a greased 15x10x1 pan. Spread on both cans of cherry pie filling.
- Drop the remaining batter on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden brown and cool on a wire rack.
- Combine ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over the bars.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
more good mood food
Like our recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy these Cherry Pie Bars? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
How long do you bake your cherry pie bars recipe in a 9 x 13 pan. I want to make them. They sound so good. Maybe for the holidays. Thank you.
These can be baked in a 9x13 for the same amount of time, 30 to 35 minutes. I hope you enjoy them- they're one of my favorite holiday bars!!
Very fun to make came out beautiful 🤩 see
I'm so happy to hear that! These are one of my favorite desserts to make!