With a crispy pan-style crust, doused in an Olive Garden Copycat garlic butter sauce, and topped with shredded mozzarella and crispy bacon, these Cheesy Bacon Breadsticks will have you coming back for more! These are the perfect side dish for pizza night.
Why you'll love this recipe
Who remembers Pizza Hut's Original Pan Pizza- the golden-brown, crispy buttery crust with the soft and chewy center? I do- and trust me, it gets even better. This recipe starts with fresh, homemade dough, brushed with an Olive Garden Copycat garlic butter sauce, and layered with shredded mozzarella cheese and crispy bacon. YUM.
If you prefer classic Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks, just leave off the bacon. Easy as that!
To get that Original Pan Pizza crust, you will need a cast iron skillet. If you don't have one, that's okay! I have included instructions below for using a pizza pan or a baking sheet.
This recipe uses simple and easy-to-find ingredients- even if you make the dough from scratch! For these extraordinary breadsticks, you will need the following:
- Pizza dough
- Mozzarella cheese
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Olive oil
- Corn meal
Start by placing a 12-inch cast-iron skillet into a cold oven and preheat it to 475 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the dough (if you choose to use homemade dough). While the dough rises, cut the bacon into ¼ to ½ inch strips and cook in a skillet.
Combine the ingredients for the yummy butter-garlic sauce (butter, garlic powder, salt, and Italian seasoning) and set aside.
After the dough has doubled in size, stretch it into a 12-inch circle.
Carefully remove the skillet from the oven; it will be HOT! Spread the olive oil into the skillet and dust with cornmeal (for that extra yummy crispiness!).
Carefully and quickly move the dough into the skillet and press the dough to the edges. You should hear it sizzle. Do not let the oil cool down, this is how we get that fried pan-style crust!
Poke the dough
Poke the dough with a fork to keep the dough from bubbling. Place the skillet back into the oven and reduce the temperature to 425 degrees. Bake the dough for 3 to 5 minutes.
I like to check my crust at about 3 minutes. The top should be slightly browned and firm.
Spread the butter sauce onto the entire surface of the dough (edges included!) and top with shredded mozzarella cheese and crumbled bacon.
Bake at 425 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Carefully remove the breadsticks from the pan and move to a cutting board or pizza peel. Cut once down the center and cut into even strips. Now it’s time to dig in! Don’t forget to share!
If you don't have a cast iron skillet, a pizza pan or baking sheet can be used instead.
Preheat your oven to 425. Lightly grease your baking sheet or pizza pan and sprinkle on the cornmeal.
Stretch the dough into a 12-inch (or so) circle and place it on the pan. Poke the dough with a fork.
Bake the dough for 3 minutes. Brush with butter sauce and top with mozzarella and bacon.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
Tips & tricks
Use freshly shredded cheese. It will have a fresher and creamier taste and contains fewer additives. Because mozzarella is a wetter cheese, shred it before beginning this recipe (or at least 15 minutes before sprinkling it onto your breadsticks) and store it in the fridge so it has time to dry out.
Use homemade or store-bought dough. This recipe works great with both homemade and store-bought dough!
Use cornmeal to dust the pan. Cornmeal will give the crust extra flavor and crispiness- similar to a Pizza Hut pan pizza! It also helps keep the dough from sticking to skillets, baking sheets, and pizza stones.
- 12-inch Cast Iron Skillet. My cast irons are definitely one of my favorite ways to cook food! You can make pizza, pasta, breadsticks, and even desserts! Needless to say, it's one of my most used pans (especially the 12-inch).
- Box Cheese Grater. It's nothing fancy, but it sure does the trick! Freshly shredded cheese is so much creamier and tastes fresher.
- Wooden Pizza Peel. This works well for both cutting and serving breadsticks and pizzas.
- Rocking Pizza Cutter. Cuts pizza and breadsticks both quickly and efficiently!
Storing and reheating
Refrigerator: After the breadsticks have cooled completely, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Please note that the longer they sit, the softer they will become.
Reheat: Reheat in the oven at 350 degrees, covered with foil, until hot (5 to 10 minutes). Breadsticks can also be reheated in the microwave.
This recipe would make a great addition to your football party spread. It's easy to make and is a great finger food. Besides, is it really a Super Bowl party without something covered in bacon? Serve this alongside some:
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Boneless Hot Honey Wings
- Loaded Baked Potato Slices
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Beer Battered Onion Rings
Hungry for more? Sign up for our newsletter and join us on Facebook and Pinterest for all of our latest updates!
Be sure to check out our brand-new Gluten-Free Facebook community!
Bacon & Cheese Garlic Breadsticks
- Pizza Peel
- Pizza Cutter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella or to taste
- 8 oz crumbled bacon or to taste
Garlic Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoon salted butter melted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet into a cold oven and preheat to 475°.
- Prepare the dough. While the dough is rising, cut the bacon into ¼ to ½ inch strips and cook in a separate pan. While the oven and skillet are heating up, combine all the ingredients for the butter sauce. Set aside.
- Stretch the dough into a 12-inch circle. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven, it will be HOT! Evenly spread the olive oil into the skillet and sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Carefully and quickly move the dough into the skillet, pressing the dough to the edges. Poke the dough all over with a fork.
- Place the skillet back into the oven and reduce the temperature to 425 degrees. Bake the dough for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread the butter sauce onto the dough, covering it entirely. Top with mozzarella cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
The nutritional information provided is only an estimate. For accurate results, we recommend calculating the nutritional information based on the ingredients and brands you use.
more good mood food
Like our recipes? Follow us on Pinterest!
Did you enjoy these Cheesy Bacon Breadsticks? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Did you make this recipe? Let us know!